Wednesday 30 May 2007

Desert Sands - a photograph of Hoylake


There are few places on The Wirral where the bedrock is exposed along the coast. Hilbre Point, just a short distance from the centre of Hoylake is one of these locations. I'm attracted to the form and shapes in these rocks, the weathered strata exposing geological information preserved millions of years ago. In the case of these relatively rapidly eroding rocks, one can often marvel at the sheer magnitude of the geological timescale.

This image to me typifies the abstract quality one can achieve through the medium of photogrpahy. There is nothing in the image to imply scale, the viewer is left to decide how to interpret the size of the image. In making this image, which was taken under a vivid blue sky, I was undecided if I should correct the obvious cast this made in the image, particularly in the dried salt. I'm happy that I left the image unfiltered, contrasting the blue of the sky in to the warm iron red of the sandstone.

1 comment:

Tim Parkin said...

I really like the colours. I agree about the filtration too, it's not very often that you don't want colour contrast from the blue shadows. There is nothing worse than a monotone orange picture.